[TriLUG] Upgrade to 7.2 - now KDE lockups

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:23:52 EST 2001

>From: "Christian J Hedemark" <chris at yonderway.com>

>The only problem I am having with 7.2 is that I get occaisional machine
>lockups (hard lockups) when I am working at the console under KDE.  This
>has
>happened on other machines with Red Hat 7.1 and is now happening with 7.2.
>I have applied all available upgrade RPM's, and even got the KDE 2.2.2
>RPM's
>directly from KDE.org.

>The machine itself is running mostly pretty new hardware.  Duron 750, half
>gig of PC133 SDRAM, 16GB UDMA66 drive, 20GB UDMA66 drive, Matrox dual head
>video card, Netgear 10/100 PCI ethernet.  The only old piece of hardware is
>the sound card (SB16), which doesn't work anyway so I'm going to rip that
>out.  But I've seen these KDE lockups on other systems too that are totally
>different from this box.

Chris,

I am a KDE user (I know, I shouldn't, use Gnome, it is not vrms compiant,...
and all that). I use it in both Red Hat and Mandrake.

The times that I had problems with it have been with:

* (propietary( drivers for my nVidia videocard under Mandrake
* beta-versions of KDE for IA64/Red Hat.
* video-card over-heating (Voodoo Banshee on Mandrake)

Now KDE for IA64 works on current betas. Using GPL drivers for my nVidia
card solved the other problem. And my video-card got fried (poor'ol
Banshee!), so I switched to nVidia (el cheapo brand) and got more fan on my
machine.

Do you see something at /var/log/XFree86.log.x ?? Any application in
particular?  Do you have over-heating problems? Use lm_sensors + gkrellm an
get some intake / output fans.

Salut,
Sinner