[TriLUG] MySQL Server Startup Problem

Jturena at aol.com Jturena at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 20:52:37 EST 2001

  I was starting mysqld (the MySQL Server daemon) on my local machine by
typing in:
"/path_to_/safe_mysqd  --user username  & " and the Server starts (at least
the display says "starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/usr/local/mysql/var") but then the screen displays a flashing cursor with no
prompt.
  It use to be that I could then hit Cntrl-C to get back to a prompt.
  But now this does not work, and I Have To find out what the problem is.
  Is anybody familiar with this mistake?
  Heck, I don't even know what to do now to get back to a prompt or get out
of this cleanly. I hate to just hit cntrl-alt-del.

  And Sinner, I wish I could help you with your MySQL venture, but I am only
learning myself.
  I did buy the book "PHP and MySQL Web Development", but am going to take it
back because it was not what I needed.
  I have the book "MySQL", by Paul Dubois (New Riders), and it was/is pretty
good to get one started in learning about web interfaces with MySQL. ($49.99
at the bookstore). It covers MySQL install, and administration, and use.
  (But my problem is with my shell I guess and my issueing of the command to
start the Server, probably, and/or the setup)

  Thhhhhhhhanks.