[TriLUG] icecast and xmms

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Thu Dec 6 17:50:23 EST 2001

Tanner Lovelace [lovelace at wayfarer.org] wrote:
> I've run streaming audio using the Apache::MP3 perl module very
> successfully with IDE drives.  Why do you claim SCSI is needed?
> I've even done this using plain 5400 rpm IDE disks on standard
> controllers (i.e. not UDMA).

Yeah... MP3s are pretty low-bandwidth, disk-wise.  Shouldn't make
any noticable difference that I can imagine.

> Also, what's the advantage of Icecast over something like
> Apache::MP3, besides the obvious of not needing to setup
> apache. :-)  With Apache::MP3 I get a very nice web interface
> to pick the songs I want to listen to and everything works
> very nicely.

Depends on what you do.  My MP3 stream is a continuous radio-style
one, which icecast then lets me forward to other streaming servers,
so the network load is way smaller (for me anyways =) -- if you're
just doing a playlist-style single-user thing, Apache::MP3 is
perfectly fine.  If you want multiple listeners to be able to
hear the same thing, or do stream proxies and such, icecast or
shoutcast is the way to go.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/