[TriLUG] Nice article: The Register "Making Linux look harder than it is"

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Dec 7 19:51:34 EST 2001

A Divendres 07 Desembre 2001 06:10 pm, vàreu escriure:
> This really IS a good article, and I am the newbie described in it.  I
> gotta crawl before I can run.  Command line stuff was fine when that was
> all there was (Applesoft, PC-DOS, ante-winders/mac gui), but I really cut
> my teeth on the GUIs when they arrived and then learned how to take them
> apart and put them together again with under-the-hood command-line stuff
> (doing user technical support).

I'm from the time before CP/M. I do Linux sinde '96. I had even done
DOS-batch programmimng... and AFAIK that...thing is still running on
production. My natural instinct is to open at least 2 xterms (wonderful
Konsole!).

But...

I like GUIs. I enjoy spending some time getting the right combination of
colours to get a nice degradation effect on the titlebar. I use The GImp! , I
lurk the Gimp newsgroup, I visit http://www.kde-look.org , I have an account
there and I have submited some stuff. I even have submited some GPL art .

Maybe because I like drawings? Maybe because my first GUI was a Mac (Apple
something, probably a IIe)?

Anyway.

I considere myself pretty confident with command line, I use it all the time.
I work with it (God bless RedHat!).

But I enjoy using a GUI.

And I tell everyone, every Windower, "my Linux computer is prettier than your
Windows" and I post screencaptures on my website. And I usualy convince them.

In short, I agree somehow with the article writer, I agree with you, and Red
Hat, Mandrake and SuSE agree with you. Install Linux, use it with the GUI.

Linux is about options.

Use what pleases you, use it as you want. Use Linux!

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.1 - Kernel  2.4.8-34mdk     Linux Machine # 38068