ssh over PPP; was Re: [TriLUG] rp3 on RH7.1___Dial-up config Script activation via sshd command prompt:call me lazy

Michael Mueller bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 22:35:11 EST 2001

Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.  It seems minor,
but I'd like to be able to solve all minor problems.

Objective:
PPP between two local machines using null modem connection.

Setup:
1. kernel compiled with PPP support; new kernel ported to all
machines and regression tested OK
2. 50' null modem built and tested using mgetty on on one side and
windows-based terminal emulator on the other
3. cable used to connect dev0 on /dev/ttyS0 and test1 on /dev/ttyS0;
mgetty deactivated in /etc/inittab on test1
4. entered: pppd -detach lock crtscts <local:remote> /dev/ttyS0
56000 on dev0 and test1

Problem:
on test1 I got the 2-line message:
pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
pppd: couldn't  find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to
do so.

- I can force this message on dev0 by entering "pppd auth".
- I can eliminate this message on test1 by entering "pppd noauth"
- the files /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets have no
entries (both machines) which explains why the message above is
displayed when the "auth" option is used
- /etc/ppp/options has no "auth" option in it (both machines) that I
can find
- logged in as root; there is no ~/.ppprc file that could contain
the "auth" option
- both machines are using pppd version 2.3.10