[TriLUG] VMware networking Q

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Dec 10 07:55:11 EST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 07:01:51PM -0500, Chris Merrill spoke thusly:
> I have a similar setup.  Not being much of a Linux guru, I solved it
> by setting up both of my ethernet interfaces (onboard/pci and pcmmcia)
> as eth0.  I have two boot configurations (using different runlevels) -
> each runs a script to create links for the the necessary config files
> (ifcfg-eth0 and modules.conf) depending on which boot config I choose.
> Using this method seems to make the difference transparent to VMWare,
> since it 'just works' - I didn't need to do any special config in VMWare
> or Win2k

SAme here, although rather than boot with options, I've just made
network-specific changes on a per-slot basis in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts :

# Cart in slot 0 = office wireless network
*,0,*,[card ID])
# card in slot 1 = home wireless network
*,1,*,[card ID])

> The tech support guys told me that they didn't support wireless...
> but that didn't make much sense to me....so went this route.

I expect if the card ends up named wvlan# t doesn't work. but that's
just a guess.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001