[TriLUG] VMware networking Q

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Dec 10 08:03:02 EST 2001

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:50:26PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size spoke thusly:
> The laptop is sometimes on a network through the onboard
> 100baseT eth0, and sometimes wireless through the ORiNOCO
> eth1.  And I'd like the W2K VM to be able to access the
> network regardless of which interface the host is using,
> and also be able to access the host's filesystem.

I do this, and it just works. I *THINK* they just address the default
route with the NAT.

Again, that's just a guess.

> I would half-suspect setting up a NAT on eth0, a NAT on eth1,
> and a host-only network in the VMware config editor, but whether
> that's right and what steps to take in the W2K setup are eluding me..

You cannot tell vmware, as I recall, which interface on your system to
use for NAT. I'm under the impression that the only time
interface information is critical is in regards to Bridges, where the
VMWare code has to interface directly to the eth card. (It does this
by placing ethN in promiscuous mode, BTW, something Orinoco cards
don't like).

Since VMWare 3 gives you three eth cards per VM, doing what you want
*INSIDE* the VM isn't an issue. What I expect VMWare to do, though, is
to route the outgoing pakcets to the IP stack's routing tables for
resolution, and not use one IF over the other.

Thats' what I'd expect, anyway *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001