[TriLUG] Banging away at mail server setup

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Mon Dec 10 13:46:14 EST 2001

Trying (still) to set up a mail server.

Red Hat 7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10 on a Dell Power Edge 1400SC.

Removed sendmail and installed Postfix from RPM. Configured postfix, and
brought it up. Works fine.
I then installed the imap RPM that came with the Red Hat cd set, which
installs POP and IMAP.
Here's where I get foggy again. Where do I set up account for the people
that will be getting their
mail from this server? I don't have to create OS accounts for them do I? Or,
do I? In other words,
where I do create mailboxes? Is this part of POP? (From what I've read, it
isn't part of postfix (or any MTA)

If it matters, I'm trying to set this up for Windows clients to access
(please don't flog me, it's not my choice).

Sorry for the dumb questions. I've never set up a mail server before, don't
really 'get it' yet from reading,
and I'm pretty new to linux in general. But hey, I'm having fun! :-)

TIA,
Justin