[TriLUG] Verizon Online DSL and Linux

Michael Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 02:52:58 EST 2001

Point 1: get everything from Verizon in writing; there is a bit of
confusion right now with my Verizon wireless plan; have you compared
Telocity?  I use Earthlink.
Point 2: look closely; it's probably an introductory offer with a
contract for 6-12 months;  your rate will probably go up to ~$50 at
some point in the future
Point 3: setup; Earthlink had the same type of marketing blurbs;
here's a good test: call customer support to see if Linux is
supported or if they are aware of anyone using Linux with their
service  (my guess is that the cust. svc rep. will not know what you
are talking about);  you'll probably need a DSL/cable router with
PPPoE capability (I use Linksys for about $60-80; you can use an old
Linux box too as a router but you'll need to download PPPoE from
Roaring Penguin and you'll need to become familiar with IPChains to
implement a NAT/Firewall); you'll need user ID and password and the
DNS IPs for your ISP; that's about it in a nutshell; oh yeah,
patience helps (i never seem to have enough)
Point 4: Most people in the US use cable; any reason not to consider
cable?  DOCSIS1.1 compliant equipment wil be deployed soon and that
should fix the bandwidth sharing problems with cable;
Point 5: Better type in "Verizon DSL" at Google; it doesn't look
promising

HTH,
Mike