[TriLUG] Executable file loader question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Dec 12 03:16:35 EST 2001

Greetings,

I recently found my CD of Matlab for linux that I bought about 2
years ago and thought I would install it on my Mandrake 8.1 system.
However, when I tried to run the setup it gave me the error, file
not found, even though the X setup program was clearly there.  I was
able to get it to install however, using the text based setup program,
but when I go to run the installed program, I get the same error
message.  Even weirder, when I try to see what libraries it's
dynamically linked with (using ldd), it gives me the same error.
The program file, however, tells me it is an linux executable and
is dynamically linked.  Here is some output: (note that I don't
normally run matlab as root, but I was just trying to see if it
might be some weird permissions problem).

[root at kendrick lnx86]# ls -l matlab
-rwxr-xr-x    1 106      users      849080 Jun 19  1999 matlab*
[root at kendrick lnx86]# file matlab
matlab: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
[root at kendrick lnx86]# ldd matlab
/usr/bin/ldd: ./matlab: No such file or directory
[root at kendrick lnx86]# ldd ./matlab
/usr/bin/ldd: ./matlab: No such file or directory
[root at kendrick lnx86]# ./matlab
bash: ./matlab: No such file or directory

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here?  It's obviously
something with the loader that is causing it to fail, but for the
life of me I can't figure out why it's giving me this error message.

Thanks in advance,
Tanner Lovelace
P.S. In case anyone asks, I have a standard installation (not upgrade)
of Mandrake 8.1 with all updates installed.  Oh, I guess I have one
non-standard thing.  I'm running kernel version 2.4.16 that I got
from the latest cooker.  I don't think that would make a difference,
however...
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989