[TriLUG] a kernel building mini-doc

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 12 10:03:01 EST 2001

Hello

I looked at the makefile and at Configure.

Here's how to do it.

cp .config config.jfd
cp config.jfd arch/i386/defconfig
make mrproper
make oldconfig
make dep clean zImage modules modules_install

rpjday <rpjday at mindspring.com>@trilug.org on 12/11/2001 10:52:40 PM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:  trilug-admin at trilug.org

To:   <trilug at trilug.org>
cc:
Subject:  Re: Re: [TriLUG] a kernel building mini-doc

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, John F Davis wrote:

> Hello
>
> This is from memory, but I believe you can do this:
>
> cp .config config.jfd
> make mrproper
> make oldconfig config.jfd
> make dep clean zImage modules modules_install
>
> If not, look up the rule for oldconfig.  You might have to rename
> config.jfd to arch/i386/defconfig or something.

i'm pretty sure "make oldconfig" works strictly with whatever is in
the file .config at the time.  unless someone wants to demonstrate
otherwise.

rday