[TriLUG] Executable file loader question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Dec 12 16:24:07 EST 2001

Michael Bell wrote:

> Tanner,
>
> Matlab requires some specific old libraries (libc5 instead of libc6).
> Their web site gives details about which one's it needs, (search the
> knowledge base at mathworks for linux) but I eventually gave up because
> I couldn't get both matlab an other programs running at the same
> time.
> 	If you have success, please share your knowledge.
>
> later,
> michael

Well, I couldn't find it at Mathworks (but then again, I didn't
search that hard), but google did find a Matlab FAQ at MIT
(http://www.mit.edu/~pwb/cssm/matlab-faq.html#platform) and question
5.3 gave a good direction to look in.

Not only did I need libc5 compatability libraries (which Mandrake
does provide, although they just call it libc-5.3.12-35mdk.i586.rpm.
Unfortunately, I also needed version 1 of the loader (or /lib/ld.so)
which neither Mandrake nor Redhat 7.x appear to provide.  Luckily,
jungle.metalab.unc.edu has Redhat 6.2 which provided
ld.so-1.9.5-13.i386.rpm which did the trick.  I still had to add
the following symbolic link in /lib:

/lib/libdl.so.1 -> libdl.so.1.9.5

But, finally, after all that, matlab runs!  Yay!  What a bizzare
set of errors, though...  Thanks to Kevin and Micheal for your
suggestions.

Tanner

P.S. Anyone know of any long-term reasons why I shouldn't have
both versions 1 and 2 of ld.so installed?
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989