[TriLUG] help with usb mouse

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Thu Dec 13 17:28:08 EST 2001

hey guys. i just got my gf a nice new USB Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse
Explorer. yeah, whatever, they make great mice generally. anyway, i can't
get it working in X under linux, wonder if y'all can give me a hand? i'm
using XFree86-4.1.0 under Mandrake-8.1 with the evil nvidia drivers. when
i start X using after running mousedrake, i get weirdness; the mouse
pointer will only move up and down and the keys don't work reliably. i
checked and in my X conf file, the protocol is set to IMPS/2. that seems
wrong. i referred to this document:

http://xfree86.org/4.1.0/mouse6.html

which seemed like a good resource to me. it says:

To use this mouse as the USB device and the OS supports the generic HID
protocol:

Option	"Protocol"	"usb"

To use this mouse as the USB device and the OS supports automatic mouse
detection:

Option	"Protocol"	"Auto"

i tried both of these options to no avail. i believe the "Auto" protocol
gave me no mouse movement at all, while the "usb" protocol gave me an X
error saying that the usb protocol was unrecognized. interesting enough,
mousedrake didn't even edit the correct XF86Config file, but i reckon
that's mandrake's problem. anyway, anyone got any clues for me?

- donald