[TriLUG] help with usb mouse

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Fri Dec 14 00:41:56 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Daniel T. Chen wrote:

> Hrm, dunno if this will help, but...
>
> % ls -l /dev/input/mice
> crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Dec 31  1969 /dev/input/mice
>
> ...and in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...
>
> Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
> Option "SampleRate"  "150"
> Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping""4 5"
>
> ...and in my kernel .config ...
> CONFIG_INPUT=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
> CONFIG_USB=y
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
> CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y
> CONFIG_USB_HID=y

well, i'm using the stock mandrake kernel with...

CONFIG_INPUT=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
# CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m
# CONFIG_USB_HID is not set

maybe i should just ditch the mandrake kernel and roll me own again. i had
to do that for 8.0 since it didn't support my fricking internel ps/2 mouse
on my ibm thinkpad out of the box. sheesh. any idea what patches i must
apply to a stock 2.4.x kernel to make mandrake happy?

> I followed the directions on linux-usb.org pretty much to the letter (I'm
> using devfs 1.5 though it shouldn't make any difference since I had it
> working as well prior to my move to devfs). It is completely possible that
> the "IMPS/2" protocol won't work with your new model...

i'd really like to use the "usb" protocol documented in the XFree86 4.1.0
manual, but it's apparantly a lie. argh. usb mice are the bane of my
existence. i should have gotten the logitech, but i liked the feel of the
microsoft one so much more...

- donald