[TriLUG] nvidia drivers don't work (for elliot, that is)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Dec 14 02:44:34 EST 2001

elliot peele wrote:

> i am trying to upgrade to the newest nvidia driver and i am having a
> couple of problems. i am running redhat linux 7.2 on a dell latitude 810C
> with a 32mb gforce 2 go card. i got the rpm to install but it gives me
> this:

How did you get the rpm to install?  Did you have to add --force
or --nodeps?  If so, that is an indication of a problem that
should be looked at.

> [root at nebuchadnezzar kernel]# /sbin/modprobe NVdriver
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol
> __put_user_4
[... many error messages deleted...]
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver
> failed
> [root at nebuchadnezzar kernel]#
>

> > anybody have the same problem, any idea, anything. i have talked with some
> of the people on the nvidia chanle on irc.openprojects.net and they had
> suggested moving the NVdriver from
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver to
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/video/NVdriver but that didn't work.

Well, that wouldn't solve it as the module is obviouly being found.

Is your kernel a stock kernel? (I don't run redhat, so I can't
tell just by looking at the version number.)  You might try downloading
the .src.rpm or the tarball and compiling it yourself.  At the very
least that might give you a better idea of the problem (assuming
the compiler error messages make sense if it doesn't compile).
In fact, compiling it yourself is probably a good idea, since the
main reason for this kind of error is most likely to be a kernel
mismatch of some sort (i.e. the module was compiled for a different
kernel than the one you're trying to use it on).

I would also like to take a small exception to your subject line.
As written, it's very inflamatory.  Yes, the drivers don't seem
to be working for you right now, but that in no way means they
don't work.  In fact, they work very well for me (after figuring
out how to install Unreal Tournament... :-D which is very nice,
btw... thanks) and many other people I know.  Please at least
try compiling them yourself before flaming them on the net.

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989