[TriLUG] nvidia drivers don't work (for elliot, that is)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Dec 14 03:15:20 EST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 02:51, Donald Ball wrote:

> that's a flame? okay, maybe he should have said "aren't working", but
> c'mon. that's not a flame, just bad wording.

Perhaps.  If so, then I retract my previous statement.  I have
sensed a tendency, however, of several people on the list to
be critical of the nvidia drivers, primarily because they're
not open source, and therefore must be bad.  I obviously
disagree with this position.  I think there are some bad things
about the fact that they are not open source, but since what
I want is the best graphics performance possible, I'm not about
to look anywhere else (sorry Radeon...).  Therefore, it bothers
me when people tend to dismiss them out of hand without at
least trying to look at the "bigger picture".

I understand that some people prefer to have something that's
completely "free software" and I have no problem at all with
those people.  Just realize that in order to get one thing,
you may have to give something else up.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989