[TriLUG] Scripting Users Group?

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Dec 14 07:02:02 EST 2001

[2001-12-14 07:26] Tom Bryan said:
| On Friday 14 December 2001, Brent Verner wrote:
|
| > I believe Tom Bryan mentioned forming a python user group; search
| > the archive to see if my memory is completely gone or not ;-).
|
| Nope.  That would be me.  Java, C/C++, PL/SQL developer by day, Python hacker
| by night.  :-)  Although I lean strongly to Python, a general
| Perl/PHP/Python/Ruby/Tcl/etc.  group would be fun...as long as it was free of
| religious wars.

What! no religious wars?  You mean we have to use Reason to steer
people in the right direction?  :-)

| I feel that a post about a Python or Perl problem is offtopic for this list
| unless I'm specifically writing something related to Linux.  For example,
| scripting backups on my Linux box are on topic no matter what language I use.
| General quastions about how to access a postgres database programatically
| would be inappropriate, no matter which language I'm talking about.  If a
| scripting at trilug.org were created, I'd join.

+1 : code at trilug.org?

  Like you, I'm a language hack (perl,java,c,c++,objc,python,tcl,pike);
mostly because /(ProgrammingIs)+/.  I think a general programming list
focused on linux programming[1] would be a very nice addition to the
trilug repertoire.

[1] meaning that the membership would be free to call questions about
    non-linux platform specific API "Offtopic".

| I'm not sure whether a sublist is appropriate or whether this list should be
| part of an entirely separate group.  For example, if we created a
| scripting at trilug.org, would discussions of C++ programming be inappropriate?
| Certainly, how to get Perl working on a win32 box, or how to use COM from
| Python seem to be way off topic, no matter what sublist is created.  How do
| programming/software topics fit into trilug's mission?

  Trilug currently does a good job of addressing needs of users and
admins of linux.  ISTM that trilug should seek to accomodate
developers that use linux.

my $.02
  b "it's waaaay too late to be sending email..." v

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman