[TriLUG] Scripting Users Group?

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Dec 14 08:56:21 EST 2001

[2001-12-14 08:28] rpjday at mindspring.com said:

| > +1 : code at trilug.org?
|
| i don't think a *general* coders/developers mailing list would be
| all that useful, since it would be ... well, too general.  a forum
| to address all of c, c++, java, perl, python, shell, etc.  is trying
| to cover too many bases at once.

I don't think the purpose would be to fully cover any of the available
languages.  There are existing channels for full-strength support,
but then, there's never a chance to actually meet most of the /people/
on full-strength lists, since they're literally from all over the
world.

| i much prefer the idea of having a separate mailing list for each
| *linux-related* scripting or programming language.  and no one
| says we have to have a list for every different language.  from
| what i've read, it would be sufficient to create two new lists:
| shell and python.  there are already well-established forums/lists
| out there for c, c++, java and so on, and they've been there for
| years -- no sense reinventing those now.

Well, by that logic there should be a separate list for any of the
applications that are discussed on trilug; apache@ sendmail@ samba@
xfree@ ... at .  Using linux is an activity that is covered by the
trilug list.  If any deep expertise is needed, I'm sure experienced
'luggers seek out the appropriate forum for the topic at hand.  i.e.,
If I need to know about hacking a timeout into sendmail's RBL check
code, I go dig around the sendmail mailing list for an answer before
I start hacking it myself -- I don't expect domain expertise in every
aspect of linux on this general linux list.

Programming on linux is, IMOHO, an activity that could be effectively
covered by a local list, much the same as trilug@ adequately services
local linux users.

| regarding perl, there is already a raleigh.pm.org mailing list, but
| it has (last time i looked) virtually no traffic.  not to step on
| anyone's toes, but i wouldn't take it the wrong way if there was
| a perl at trilug.org list as well.

Exactly, those people on a narrow focus (perl) list will find much
deeper expertise on the international fora.

| i think the appeal of having local lists like this is that people
| are more likely to post and ask questions if they don't think their
| posts are going to the entire world.  since i've written courses on
| basic shell and perl, i'd be happy to join and share what precious
| little i know.  and since i'm just starting to learn python, i'd just
| as certainly join and ask my share of stupid questions.

/exactly/.  This is about local developers.

| anyway, my $0.02.  it's early.  more coffee.

anyway, 'slate.  more cofee.

cheers.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman