[TriLUG] RE: [TriLUG] VNC

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Fri Dec 14 15:23:43 EST 2001

Are both the client and server on the same network? i.e. no firework in
between them

Assuming this is the case: If the vncserver is running on windows check that
is is actually listening on ports 5800 and 5900. When I run netstat -an on
my Win2K box I see the following:

  TCP    0.0.0.0:5800           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:5900           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

The vncviewer connects to port 5800. If you open a java enabled browser and
enter http://yourserver:5900/ you should get a client in the browser. To
connect to a vncserver on a Windows box from the vncviewer just enter the ip
address or hostname with no display number or enter 0 as the display number.
If your vncserver is on 192.168.1.1, type "vncviewer 192.168.1.1" at the prompt.

Each vnc "display" listens on a different port on the server. display 0 is
5800 & 5900, display 1 is 5801 & 5901 and so on. Windows only uses display 0.