[TriLUG] Kernal update issue

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Dec 14 15:49:49 EST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 13:56, Craig Duncan wrote:
> Mandrake 8.1
> Used Software manager to update kernal from 2.4.8-26 to 2.4.8-34
> Download and install of rpm went without a hitch.
>
> When I reboot, the system locks on "Loading Linux........"
> I can boot the "failsafe" option from LILO, but much is not working due to
> "Cannot find module /lib/modules/xxxx.2.4.8-26/module.so" or something
> similar.
> I noticed that in the boot directory, there were several soft links that
> were broken due to the change in version, so I fixed those that I could with
> the exception of initrd.img and initrd-enterprise.img which do not seem to
> have a corresponding img file for the 2.4.8-34 kernal and the x-26.img files
> are no longer there.
>
> So how do I find/create the .img files that I need?

It sounds like a new initrd file didn't get created.  You'll
need to create one yourself.  Try looking at the man page for
mkinitrd (if you can access them...).

BTW, Mandrake strongly encourages people to not use the Software
Manager (i.e. MandrakeUpdate) to update the kernel.  Please make
sure you read the errata before updating the kernel again.  It
will help prevent problems like this...

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989