[TriLUG] SuSe Linux 6.4

Bob Wieman rewieman at eos.ncsu.edu
Sat Dec 15 15:18:35 EST 2001

In the same vein, I've found that depending on the situation, boot disks
  can be very handy.  The syslinux program makes it easy to make a boot
floppy, and you can just put it in before you boot up if you want linux,
and leave it out if you want windows.  (Of course, assuming the BIOS
checks the floppy first to boot from.)  Even cheaper than hard drives. :)

Going to the original problem, it sounds like Linux is starting, if it's
going through the fs check.  So you're past LILO.  It sounds to me like
there's an X problem.  I'd try to boot up in single user mode (IIRC,
this means typing "single" after the LILO label for the kernel, e.g.,
LILO: linux single ), switch to initlevel 3 (in /etc/inittab), and see
if the problem happens when X tries to come up.  If so, it's a video
driver thing, or an incorrect XF86Config-4, or something I don't know
about.  :)

Bob

 >From: "al johson" <alfjon at mindspring.com>
 >To: <trilug at trilug.org>
 >Subject: Re: [TriLUG] SuSe Linux 6.4
 >Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:13:49 -0500
 >
 >I have a very simple solution to this problem. Go buy two hard drive
 >"drawers" which you can put into a single "drawer holder" plus another
 >inexpensive hard drive. Put Linux on one hard drive and Windows on
 >another.
 >If you want to run Linux put in the "Linux hard drive", or if you want >to
 >run Windows put in the "Windows hard drive". It takes just a minute to
 >shut
 >down either system, unlock the drawer  and put another drawer and lock >it
 >in. The only problem is that your hardware must be compatible with both
 >systems. This also encourages you to eventually discard your Windows
 >system
 > [;-)]
<snip intermediate messages>

LILO..

 > I have repartitioned and placed Linux on the larger partition.. the
system
 > boots to LILO, at with I choose Linux... It goes to check hardware and

then