[TriLUG] VNC

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Sat Dec 15 11:21:20 EST 2001

(ref: secure VNC)

I was wrong about the port address.  There are more...

Running etherape, the new entry I added to /etc/services
still wasn't showing up.  When I caused VNC traffic,
etherape was still showing unknown.

As it turns out, VNC starts at 5900 and bumps up
by 2 for every new display added.

Here is another reference I found and it shows everything
you need for VNC thru stunnel, including a Windows registry hack.

http://stunnel.mirt.net/VNC_StunnelHOWTO.html

Marty

On Friday 14 December 2001 14:04, you wrote:
> From the viewer, try ipadress:displaynumber.  If you are going from
> Windows to Linux, just put ipadress:displaynumber in the Connection
> Details box.  If you are going from Linux to Windows, you can just put
> in the ipaddress or type "vncviewer ipaddress" at the prompt.
>
> Now, if someone could explain using SSH to get from a Windows viewer to
> a Linux server, I'd be a happy camper!  :-)
>
> "Vestal, Roy L." wrote:
> > How does one use this? I've been to the site, but the docs don't help me
> > troubleshoot. I know I've missed something. I followed the install
> > instructions, and I've run vncserver, but I cannot connect. I've run
> > vncviewer but I cannot connect.  One client Linux, one Windows

Marty Ferguson
mailto:marty.ferguson at pobox.com        919-544-9575
Red Hat Certified Engineer   (RHCE #806199530900860)