[TriLUG] Dogpile Massively Parallel Supercomputer and lots of Mac hardware

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Dec 15 22:50:35 EST 2001

OK it looks like we have about 23 or 24 PC's for the cluster.  They look to
be almost all Pentium 133's with 16MB RAM.  Enough to run Red Hat 6.2, but
unfortunately Red Hat 7.2 is being snobby and doesn't want to install on a
system with 16MB of RAM (it told us so when we tried to upgrade one from
Windows 95 to Red Hat 7.2).  6.2 is on there and working fine though.  Those
network cards were unfortunately Token Ring.  If anyone out there has a good
deal on a pile of working ethernet cards, please lemme know.

There was also some early PowerPC Macs in there.  I don't know how many of
them are actually working but if there is enough yeild there we were talking
about kicking one into the TriLUG build farm (for some sweet PowerPC Linux
binary packages).

I've been getting some private emails about the mac hardware.  Bruce & I
have to figure out what to do with them all.  There is a lot of Mac stuff
but most of it is pre-PowerPC.  I don't know my Apple products so if someone
tells me what to look for, I will look for it when I go back on Monday to
get the next load.  Or if you want to take monday morning off of work and
come with us and help move stuff, you'll get to grab some of that classic
apple gear before it goes to the dump.  The oldest thing I saw was an Apple
//e but there were Mac models going from some very early looking monitors
(that would make nice little desktop aquariums) to some early PowerPC macs
(many of which I already grabbed).  Does anyone know of a very frugal deal
on Mac OS X so I could play with that and PowerPC Linux distributions on
these machines?  We're also going to see if there is something appropriate
in there for the TriLUG build farm (unfortunately most of these PowerPC macs
have the monitor integrated so it wouldn't be appropriate for the TriLUG
rack).