[TriLUG] Dogpile Massively Parallel Supercomputer and lots of Mac hardware

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sat Dec 15 23:53:37 EST 2001

Chris Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:

> but most of it is pre-PowerPC.  I don't know my Apple products so if someone
> tells me what to look for, I will look for it when I go back on Monday to

Quadra's are cool.  For the PowerMacs, look for systems that at least
have PCI.  Linux won't play real well (MkLinux is, well, being forgotten)
with the NuBus PowerMacs.

You can tell the NuBus from the PCI systems based on their model
number:
x100 <- NuBus
x2x0 <- PCI
x5x0 <- PCI

> (that would make nice little desktop aquariums) to some early PowerPC macs
> (many of which I already grabbed).  Does anyone know of a very frugal deal
> on Mac OS X so I could play with that and PowerPC Linux distributions on
> these machines?  We're also going to see if there is something appropriate

OSX won't run on anything less that a G3.  You can get a hack that will
let you install on a system that's been upgraded to a G3 processor.

Out of curiosity, how does one get in on these auctions?  How much
are the systems at auction?

Mike
--
"Yeah it is! Cause he's bakin' in the...kitchen of darkness!  A pie of
lost souls...until it's golden brown!" -- Moltar on Space Ghost