[TriLUG] Dogpile Massively Parallel Supercomputer and lots of Mac hardware

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sun Dec 16 00:38:55 EST 2001

Nathan Conrad suggest:
> One other idea is to donate some of the older ones to a school to use as
> x-windows servers?

I'm sorry no offense but I got a hearty laugh out of this suggestion.  All
of these computers were DITCHED by the Orange County schools.  They don't
want 'em anymore.

Well yeah it looks like there are some duds in the mix, but maybe some of
those PCI machines will get upgrades and I'm also looking to see what free
OS's are available for the 68k boxes.  But it is disturbing.  OpenBSD has
some pretty crazy gyrations to go through to install the OS, and there are
some suggestions that the Apple-founded distribution of Linux is not
actively maintained.  Would have been nice if these machines came with some
MacOS CD's so I could reload them fresh at least but that doesn't seem to be
an option.  :-(    Well I've got time to figure out what to do with 'em.
:-)    For those asking me privately for handout machines, I'm sorry if I
was misunderstood, but these aren't my boxes to give.  I'm just helping
Bruce Smith with this (it's all his stuff).  He monitors this list so maybe
he'll have something to say but I know he intended to sell a lot of this
stuff.  My intention in posting this thread was to talk more about the
beowulf of aging PC's we were building.  But some of the Apple advice given
here was very helpful.  Thank you.