[TriLUG] making a custom RH7.2 network install disk

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Fri Dec 14 12:41:13 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 08:52:53AM -0500, Jeremy P wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Peter Long wrote:
>
> > Here is the output on console 3:
> >
> > * copied 6938624 bytes to /tmp/ramfs/netstg1.img
> > * loopfd is 14
> > * failed to mount loop: No such device
> >
> > I assume this error occured when it tried mounting netstg1.img on
> > /dev/loop0
> >
> > What am I missing here? Did I accidently leave something critical out of
> > the kernel? Did I delete to many modules from modules.cgz?
>
> It looks like you left out the "loopback" device driver, which allows the
> installer to mount an image file (netstg1.img in that case) as a
> filesystem.  That module is loop.o -- try adding that back to the image
> and see if that fixes it.
>
> If you have no SCSI devices, it should be safe to delete all the
> SCSI-related stuff (scsi_mod.o, sg.o, sr_mod.o, etc.)

At first I suspected the same thing, but I do have the loopback device
driver linked into the kernel. It is in my .config file and it reports
that it created 8 loopback devices during the boot up sequence. I also
made sure to include ramfs incase that was the problem.

I did notice the the /dev folder in initrd.img does not include
/dev/loop0. However, that is how it was in the orginal install image,
which gets past this step, so I doubt that is the problem.

--
Peter Long