[TriLUG] DATE problems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Dec 17 13:37:51 EST 2001

Jeremy P wrote:

> If that's not precise enough for you, you'll want to use rdate to
> periodically update the time from a clock server (but be sure to run
> hwclock --systohc also, because rdate only sets the system/kernel clock.)
> Or install ntp, which is the ultimate solution for keeping your clock
> correct.  I have ntp on my servers, and it's wonderful, but somewhat of a
> pain to configure.

Or if you have a net connection fairly often you can skip mucking around

with rdate and instead run the "ntp" daemon to keep yourself in sync with
official NIST-synced timeservers.  I use ntpd on a number of my systems
and its great.

The ntp package is included with most distros and UNC runs at least two
clock servers:

   clock1.unc.edu
   clock2.unc.edu

I'm sure there are plenty of other clock servers in the area.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD