[TriLUG] partitioning advice

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Dec 17 21:46:34 EST 2001

Matt Matthews wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:50:13PM -0500, Peter Long wrote:
>
>>What is the best way to partition your harddrive space so that it is
>>easier to manage upgrades?
>>

> At the very least, I use two partitions on my main home desktop: / and /home

+1, "/" and "/home" is a fine way to go for a mostly-one-user workstation
or laptop.

> I've tried more elaborate partitioning schemes but haven't found them that
> worthwhile. In particular, on a laptop I think that one mongo / partition
> should work fine for most people.

I think having a separate "/home" is IMHO a great idea so that, when you

decide to re-install your distro, you can keep your user data in the /home
partition and not destroy it when you do the re-install.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher    |  Emails:   <ed at eh3.com>, <ehill at mines.edu>