[TriLUG] partitioning advice

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 17 22:44:44 EST 2001

On Monday 17 December 2001 20:50, you wrote:

> What do the experts do and why?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Peter Long

I like to use three partitions:

 - /boot: (~60Mb) I create it mainly because I'm an old fart and used to
creating this partion as the first one on the disk.  With Grub (and I think
newer versions of LILO) you don't need to worry about this any more.

 - /: (700Mb to 4Gb)  This is the root install.  If I want everything on a
distro, then I'll need close to that 4Gb.  My current "/" is using 1.5Gb.

 - /home: (all the space I can get!)  This is my home directory where I
install all my personal stuff and even mirror my /etc (via a cron job).
When I upgrade or re-install, I tar up the old root and normally drop it in
here til I'm happy with the new install.  That way I can always drop back
to my old install with a simple rescue boot and and un-tar.

Good luck - Jon