[TriLUG] sshd

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Mon Dec 17 23:01:44 EST 2001

Hmmmm.  Could it be trying to do a reverse-DNS lookup on the IP address?
That's the most common culprit I've found for long pauses during
connections in the past.  ssh to my home server -- also configured to
use RFC 1918 private space also with no local DNS server running, yet --
doesn't have that pause, but I did add names for the entire subnet range
to /etc/hosts a while back.

Mike

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:06:10PM -0500, Nathan Conrad wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed Debian on my older computers, a 175 MHz Pentium
> (named Nort, now with 24 MB of RAM (although it was installed with 12)). I
> set it to have a static IP address: 192.168.0.7. The networking works, it
> can ping to 192.168.0.2 (my other computer, Max) quite nicely. The problem
> is that when I connect to it from a remote computer it takes about 12
> seconds for it to ask me for my password. Nort can can can connect to Max
> without this delay.
>
> Why would this be happening? Slow computer? Misconfigured sshd? I am
> impatient?
>
> Both computers run Debian. Max is a Macintosh G4 400.
>

> A transcript of a ssh log follows:

[snip]

--
Mike Broome