[TriLUG] Nvidia driver problems

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Wed Dec 19 08:28:23 EST 2001

I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for my GeForce 2MX-200 (32MB) and I
still have the same problem. It locks up the ?kernel? perhaps, but the
software locks, not the hardware (i.e. NumLock, which is directly to the
CPU, blinks everytime). To get it somewhat stable, I have to rm -Rf * in
/tmp and rm -Rf my .socket* in my home directory and then restart.  Since I
cannot get this stable, I don't use graphical login. If I set the XFConfig-4
to default "nv" driver using dri, I get no problems, but my games are choppy
and slow (of course).

I have an ASUS mainboard with the Intel 815 chipset, Intel P-III750MHz,
128MB PC133 RAM, 10GB HDD, and my NVidia GeForce2MX-200 running 4xAGP. I
have RHL 7.2 using a 2.4.9 kernel (highest I can go for Win4Lin support),
and I'm using KDE 2.2.1.

Any suggestions?