[TriLUG] customizing Redhat 7.2 kernel-source rpm

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Dec 20 00:35:51 EST 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 00:02, Peter Long wrote:
> Hi again guys and gals,
>
> I just wanted to findout if there are any gotacha's I should know about
> before trying to update the Redhat 7.2 kernel-2.4.7-10.src.rpm to use
> linux-2.4.16.tar.bz2.
>
> One thing that I am not sure about is what to do with all those patches
> that are included with the src.rpm. I am assuming that all those patches
> are now integrated into linux-2.4.16, am I wrong. If so where do I get
> the latest ones?

Most likely they are not.  I don't know of any major distribution
today that installs a stock, straight from Linus (or Marcello :-),
kernel.  There are always patches.  What I did on my mandrake system
was to take the .src.rpm from the latest edition of the Mandrake
cooker (roughly equivalent to RedHat Rawhide).  I would very much
suggest trying that first.

Also, note that the src.rpm for both Mandrake and Redhat
build several different kernels.  Mandrake defines easy
macros so that you can decide not to build certain
kernels that you don't need.  Does anyone know if Redhat
offers similar functionality?

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989