[TriLUG] Which port needs opening for SSH?

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Thu Dec 20 14:34:27 EST 2001

The standard, well-known port for ssh is 22.  You would need to open or
setup pass-through of that port on your router.  If there's a way to
configure your router (via access-list, firewall s/w, etc.) to only
allow access to the specific machine you need to get to from the
outside, that would be more secure than simply opening port 22 to any
and all of the machines on the protected network.  Also, make sure you
are running the latest version of sshd on the machine you are accessing.
IIRC, there have been some notices recently of vulnerabilities in
some versions of ssh, but I *think* these only applied certain version
of sshv1.

Mike

--
Mike Broome