[TriLUG] Hello I am buying a US Robotics Modem...Need help

Michael Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 16:21:25 EST 2001

I am very happy to report that I now have SSH2 over PPP/CHAP over dial-up
using a pair of the cheapest external modems I could find (Diamond Supra
Express).  I implemented both the dial-out and dial-in segments.  It's a
very retro-1980's kind of experience. In the process, I was able to dial in
to my ISP (Mindspring) using PPP.

If I can succeed with cheap no-name modems, my bet is that you'll succeed
with your US Robotics modem.  My cheapies generate a NO CARRIER when the DSR
drops on a logout command.  mgetty is no so happy about that (he killed
himself and respawn in inittab starts it again - its a bit ugly, but it
works).  I tried the same test with a real Hayes modem and mgetty was happy.

The interface that you're probably most concerned with is the Hayes "AT"
commands.  The V.9x stuff is what is described below - the protocol of
information exchange between the modems.

Get Modem-HOWTO from www.linuxdoc.org.  It's well written.  I use the
old-fashioned scripts: ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, and ppp-out.

The PPP-HOWTO is well-written as well.

If you're planning on dial-in, then you'll need mgetty
(http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/).  This dial-in doc is about the best
that's out there (http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html) but it could be
written more clearly in my opinion.  That document is really a guided tour
through other documents.  Be sure to read all the man pages and the
documentation inside configuration files like
~/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config.  Plan on getting mgetty and compiling it.
I choose the latest beta version (1.1.27).