[TriLUG] Hello I am buying a US Robotics Modem...Need help

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Thu Dec 20 18:14:39 EST 2001

Good question,

Tried checking some sites, first:

http://www.v92.com/

Looks like some of the new features could possibly be/ or are software
based.  The MOH (modem on hold) feature is definitely software based, and
probably won't be supported on Linux from the manufacturer, but there is
probably a project out there somewhere working on a Linux version.  The
other two features, faster upload, and faster connect could be hardware or
software based, the white paper seem to call for these too be hardware
based, but so were the original modem specs (until they figured out they
could have the PC CPU do the DSP work).

And checking this site:
http://www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?type=specs&sku=USR5686D

They say the USR5686D is compatible with Linux.  They also claim it is DOS
compatible which is a good sign.  They do not make any mention of
exceptions to the V.92 compatibility except to say that your ISP has to
support it.  So I would be willing to give it a try.

Good luck

David