[TriLUG] Easiest install ever

Michael Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 09:17:14 EST 2001

I installed Mandrake 8.1 on my Compaq Presario 12XL500 (with 256Mb Ram upgrade) yesterday morning.  I found it easier to install than Windows on the same machine.  I got net connected with no problems either.

Signalnetware is now a 100% Linux business.

Thanks for the all the advice - I used it all.  I was torn between RH7.2 and Mandrake 8.1. M8.1 won because the basic package ($29) was stocked at the store I was in at the time (Best Buy, Glenwood, Raleigh) while the basic RH7.2 was not.  The power of distribution, eh?

My experience is in direct contrast to what this person learned about Linux perceptions in a study of undergraduates:
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/12/19/0723208&mode=thread

This will be my last post from the family Windows box (the last Windows box out of 8 boxes that I own, and *its* life may be limited now.)

My next project is getting Jpilot/Kpilot running using a ATEN USB to serial adapter.  Look what shows up just when I need it: http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November2001/article223.shtml

Thanks again,
Mike