[TriLUG] KDE destop enthusiam rising

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 03:08:38 EST 2001

Well..., based on suggestions I received regarding Mandrake 8.1 installation
on a Compaq Presarion 12XL500 with 256Mb Ram upgrade...

I changed to KDE and things are stable now.  The KDE Mailer Client is
running for all 8 accounts in both directions.  I like the feature that
allows mail from a certain POP account to be dropped into a customized folder.

I am working on the CD player.  I accidently got the CD player to play on the
GNOME player last night.  Not having any luck yet on the KDE player.  KDE is
playing intro and exit songs to me so I know everthing is working.  There is
a complaint about not finding /dev/cdrom/. I try to change it to /dev/cdromX
where x=0,1,2,n.  It then complains about SIG 11.  using /dev/cdromX works
when I mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdromX /mnt/cdrom. Here is the output of

ls -l /dev/cd*

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           16 Dec 23 02:51 /dev/cdrom ->
../cdroms/cdrom0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 Dec 22 21:42 /dev/cdrom5 ->
cdroms/cdrom5

/dev/cdroms:
total 0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Dec 31  1969 cdrom5 ->
../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks for the help,
Mike