[TriLUG] RPM question: Requires vs Prereq

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun Dec 23 22:19:29 EST 2001

On Sunday, December 23 2001, Tom Bryan said:
> Does anyone know the difference between the Requires tag and the Prereq tag
> in an RPM spec file?  http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ only seems to discuss the
> Requires tag, but I see that, for example, Red Hat's postgresql.spec file
> uses both.  Is there something that I can do with one that I can't do with
> the other?

Prereq implies that the listed package must be installed *before* this
one.  ie, if package foo has a prereq of bash, bash will be installed
before foo if they're being installed at the same time.   A prereq is
needed as opposed to a requires if you have a %pre or %post which
depends on something from another package.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D