[TriLUG] parted?

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun Dec 23 22:21:40 EST 2001

On Sunday, December 23 2001, Matt Matthews said:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 06:13:13PM -0500, Chris Merrill wrote:
> > So is this a good, reliable tool for this purpose?  Should I consider
> > any other alternatives?  Any gotchas I should aviod?
>
> One thing I've always wondered:
> Does parted resize FAT32 (or FAT16) partitions non-destructively? Or do you
> still have to defrag them first?

I seem to remember that it actually moves blocks on the fly... so if you
defragment first, it will probably go faster but should work fine even
if you don't.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D