[TriLUG] setting the partition type?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 28 09:41:27 EST 2001

M. Mueller/bhu5nji said:
> On Thursday 27 December 2001 10:32 pm, Chris wrote:
> > I'm attempting to follow some instructions on creating a hibernation
> > partition for my Thinkpad.
>
> I'll be interested in your experience.  I blindly tried an apm command on
> my Presario/Mandrake 8.1.  I won't try that again.  I abandoned hibernation
> on Windows ME since it locked up the machine reliably.
>
> Can you refer me to your instructions?

There's a utlity for formatting the partition called lphdisk.  In the docs
for lphdisk are several useful tidbits on creating the partition and calculating
the correct partition size.  The utility formats partitions for any model
using a Phoenix notebook BIOS.  (hats off to Ed Hill for the link)

http://www.procyon.com/~pda/lphdisk/

So far, I've followed the instructions and it _should_ be working - but isn't.
However, I'm not sure I'm using the right key to invoke the hibernation.  IBM
included about 40 pages of safety warnings, in various languages, but not
a single page dedicated to functioning of the computer.  I've had it for 4
months and still haven't figured out what all the special keys/lights mean.
Apparently the docs were included in the Win2k installation, which I promptly
deleted.

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com