[TriLUG] Curious about RPM

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 06:31:12 EST 2002

I've got a Linux based router app that requires home-spun versions of kernel,
mgetty, SSH2, etc. The router has no compilers, or r-commands.  They are
supposed to be high security devices - even if you break in, there's not much
to play with.

In the case of SSH2 and mgetty, I have been making a new installs on a new
machine by tarring up the development path, copying the tarball to the new
machine, untarring, and running make install.  U-u-u-u-u-u-gly, eh?  But, it
works. To clean up, I eliminate the development path.

It would be better make an RPM - yes? Easier?

Is there a way to translate what happens in a "make install" to an RPM?
Perhaps this question is even naive?

I would really appreciate some advice or alternatives.

TIA,
Mike