[TriLUG] Desktop Publishing.

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Jan 3 21:21:57 EST 2002

Bryan wrote:
>  I have been looking around the net and have come to the conclusion that
> there really is not much activity in the Linux Community in the area of
> desktop publishing. I am not referring to work processors, but software
> similar to PageMaker, QuarkXpress, InDesign, ect.  The closes thing I can
> find is a commercial program, ArtStream, but it seems to be focused on
> graphics and illustration.

Well the way the industry appears to be going, or at least the tech sector,
is XML.  O'Reilly now appears to be standardized on it.  They have a lot of
info on their web site for authors, and I believe they cover appropriate
software packages to use.  Yes, this is targeted specifically towards people
who will be writing for O'Reilly.  But it would be a great place to start.
I haven't looked there in about a year or so but due to some work I've been
doing here I probably need to check that out soon.

The XML obviously doesn't do any layout work.  That's the job of the
stylesheet.  If you're looking at doing primarily text with simple figures &
illustrations, you may want to have a look at DocBook.  At the very least
its got all of the appropriate markup to convert it to some other format if
needed.