[TriLUG] IDE for C

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Jan 4 18:35:08 EST 2002

[2002-01-04 18:09] Richard O. Hammer said:
| I'm doing some simple C programming, and I'd like to work with
| a programmer's interface a little fancier than vi.  Debugging
| capability, such as that found in IDEs, would be nice.

here are the tools I've found to be invaluable.

  vim
  cscope
  gdb

vim and cscope make an amazingly powerful tool for navigating source.
cscope indexes all C definitions, and vim bindings allow you to jump
from occurrence to definition with one key-combo.  it rocks.  If you
just dislike vim, do try to find an editor with cscope bindings.  I
do not know of another tool as good as cscope for getting around
large codebases.
  http://cscope.sourceforge.net

gdb is perhaps the most amazing piece of software on the planet, and
there are a number of guis available for use until you learn gdb
(which is when you'll agree on the "most amazing" term above ;-))
  http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/gui/
ddd is probably the least-crippled gdb front end.

alternately, you might like source navigator from cygnys^Wredhat:
  http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/

General comment: don't underestimate the unsophisticated tools at
  first glance.  There /is/ a reason programmers use them ;-)  They
  do have a high(er) barrier of entry, but for paying that price,
  you are entitled an incredible amount of power/control.

cheers.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman