[TriLUG] IDE for C

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Jan 4 10:38:43 EST 2002

On Saturday 05 January 2002 04:09 am, Richard O. Hammer wrote:

BTW, this thread is really more appropriate on dev at trilug.org. :)

> Can someone recommend an open source or inexpensive IDE for C
> which I can put on my RH 7.0 system?

Since we used Sun Workshop, integrated via ToolTalk with Xemacs, at my first
job, I learned the One True Editor within my first year of learning C.  I
haven't really taken the time to learn another IDE since then.

Given your previous statement about Emacs, I'll mention some IDE's I've seen
but never used.  It's up to you to investigate, try them, and report back. :)

KDevelop         http://www.kdevelop.org/
Code Crusader    http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/
Code Warrior     http://www.metrowerks.com/

And graphical debuggers
DDD              http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

I've also seen quite a few listed on www.sourceforge.net (don't know which
ones are mature enough to use).

Note that some of these products are commercial and/or non-open, if that
matters to you.  You stated a desire for something "fancier" than vi, but
fancy IDEs always seem to come with their own paradigm for development in an
attempt to hide the details of messy things like running
gcc -o hello_world hello_world.c
or
make all

Thus, I'm not sure whether a fancy IDE will have a shallower learning curve
than Xemacs.

Happy hacking,
---Tom