[TriLUG] Signal 11 with AMD K6

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 01:05:38 EST 2002

I've got an AMD K6-2 500Mhz on an Aopen MoBo with 256 KB of the cheapest
generic RAM I could find.  Running RH6.1 with 2.2.14 custom kernel.  No
problems in about 1 year.  I compiled gcc 3.x on it with no problems.

I didn't see the K6-III 500Mhz mentioned on the site specifically.  I did see
mention of the K6-2 300 made in weeks 34-39 of 1998 and K6-2 450.  I'll bet
your K6 is not one of the buggy ones.

I saw a RAM test on the site mentioned below. Pull out a memory stick if you
can and run the tests again.  Maybe a memory stick has gone bad.

Has there been any new software added recently?  This were I place my bet.  I
compile in segv features into my apps from time to time :-). Your machine has
run fine for over a year.  ICs like to fail early in their life if they are
going to fail.  Dust accumulation in a fan might increase temperature and
cause problems. Try running with the cover off to reduce temperature.

As a matter of fact, I was doinking around with CDROM players last week.  The
KDE CD player kept giving me SIG11s.  I switched to grip and got no more
SIG11s and music to boot.

You might try running Konqueror instead of Netscape to see if there is a
diffence in behaviour.  I suspect Netscape quality is not in keeping with
its brand name recognition.

Good luck,
Mike