[TriLUG] slirp

Nathan Conrad conrad at cs.unc.edu
Sun Jan 6 13:56:57 EST 2002

Hi,

Slirp is a program that emulates a PPP-server so that one does not need a
real IP address (it does NAT-like stuff). It is usefull to me because UNC
provides a dial-up server, but no PPP. I've had a problem that when I
connect to the internet with slirp (from MacOS and Windows 95),
connections are very unstable. I cannot telnet to any host other than
10.0.2.0. Slirp uses 10.0.2.0 as a command-prompt so that one can change
its settings while it is running. On the other hand, http mostly works.
Many smaller web pages load correctly, while larger ones do not. Images
almost never work. DNS works perfectly (as far as I can tell).

I downloaded a 500 KB binary (which worked), but its download stalled
every 62 +/- 10 KB. After restarting the download, it downloaded another
62 K.

I have tried two different versions of slirp on both AIX and Linux. I do
not have a configuration file and use 'slirp -P' to turn it on.

Does anyone know why these connections are timing out?

-Nathan