[TriLUG] GPG Key signing party

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Jan 6 19:31:58 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-06 at 18:06, Ed Warnicke wrote:
> I think that having a general n-way signing event would be more
> valuable.  Perhaps it would be a better idea to do a meeting on
> GPG and signing/encryption, providing enough info for all present
> to be able to go home and generate their keys ( if they haven't yet )
> and then do a normal n-way key signing party next time around, in the
> decentrallized format suggested by the Key Signing Party Howto at
> http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html#toc2 .

Hmmm. And we have a meeting opening in a month or two. So, any
volunteers to talk? *grin*

> Naturally it would still be a good idea for Tanner to assemble keys of
> those interested in participating.

Naturally.

> I don't completely object to the process suggested below, but
> Step 5 of the below suggested proceedure leads to a web of trust
> that artificially looks much stronger than it really is, and that I
> object to strongly.

I tend to agree that it's not as strong, however, I'm also trying
balance the needs of the non-gpg inclined among us. I'd love to see
someone do a meeting on the subject, but, in the mean time, I'd like to
get this ball rolling now, while there's still some momentum behind it.
This is a good starting point, and a good lead-in/teaser for a meeting
later on. *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001