[TriLUG] HP-UX 11.0 (this is on topic!)

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Jan 7 20:38:33 EST 2002

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 04:24 am, Christian J Hedemark wrote:

> Sounds like it is time to start organizing another installfest.  Even a
> mini install fest.  Heck even if it was just a get together for all the
> folks with non-x86 hardware trying to persuade Linux to run that would be
> cool.

I have a SPARCstation 2 (I think...it's not here at the moment) that I'd like
to have running Linux.  It is listed as a platform that runs Linux, but the
last time I tried an install (when RH used to support SPARC), the installer
hung almost immediately.  From http://www.ultralinux.org/, I found that
"There are some kernel related memory management problems with sun4c. This is
being worked on."  The page still says the same thing...so I suppose that
it's not fixed.  Still, I only tried the one Linux distro, and I'd love to
give it another try...maybe with debian or SuSE's SPARC distro.

Has anyone ever run Linux on a SPARCstation 2?

---Tom