[TriLUG] HP-UX 11.0 (this is on topic!)

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 8 10:43:54 EST 2002

Hello Andrew

I would like your potato sparc cd set and IPX.  If you are giving it away,
please give it to me.

Also, I still run debian linux on sparcs.  I've been doing it for some time
now.  They aint the fastest,
but they are quite stable.

JD

Andrew Perrin <andrew_perrin at unc.edu>@trilug.org on 01/08/2002 10:26:41 AM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:  trilug-admin at trilug.org

To:   trilug at trilug.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: [TriLUG] HP-UX 11.0 (this is on topic!)

I'm pretty sure we did so in my old job (as a grad student I did linux and
solaris admin at UC Berkeley). I can't remember for sure if there were
2's, but we certainly had IPC's, IPXes, Sparc 1, Sparc 1+, and Sparc 5
running linux (redhat, don't remember the version).  If you're interested
I can give you my then-boss's e-mail address -- he could tell you for
sure.

I'll reiterate: I have some old sparc-linux related junk available to
anyone who wants it. The computer you'll have to come pick up, but i can
mail the cd's if anyone wants them:

- Sun Sparc IPX, with a probably-useable debian potato (2.2) installation
on it. Needs a new clock chip (aprox $40) or just to be left on all the
time. Includes keyboard, mouse, and adapter to plug a standard *VGA
monitor into its color framebuffer.
- Debian 2.2r2 (potato) for sparc CD set

Just let me know.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Tom Bryan wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2002 04:24 am, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
>
> > Sounds like it is time to start organizing another installfest.  Even a
> > mini install fest.  Heck even if it was just a get together for all the
> > folks with non-x86 hardware trying to persuade Linux to run that would
be
> > cool.
>
> I have a SPARCstation 2 (I think...it's not here at the moment) that I'd
like
> to have running Linux.  It is listed as a platform that runs Linux, but
the
> last time I tried an install (when RH used to support SPARC), the
installer
> hung almost immediately.  From http://www.ultralinux.org/, I found that
> "There are some kernel related memory management problems with sun4c.
This is