[TriLUG] VNC questions

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Tue Jan 8 16:21:31 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 15:57, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I have been messing with VNC and I like it a lot but I have run into a
> few configuration issues.  The first one is that I would like to run it
> as a service/have it start automatically.  I'm pretty new to Linux
> (Novell background actually) and I've had some problems getting this
> going.  I created
> a symbolic link from /etc/init.d/vncserver to /etc/rc3.d and called it
> S99vncserver.  I thought that starting it last would be "safe" but I was
> wrong.  When I restarted the server with this link in place, I could not
> log in at the console when XDM started.  When I removed the link, I
> could log in just fine.  In both cases, I could login fine when (via
> XDMCP) from the diskless xterm that I am testing with.  I guess I missed
> another step in there.

I don't run it as a service, but I do run it from inetd on one of my
servers like so:

n /etc/services I added:

vnc-640x480x8   5950/tcp
vnc-800x600x8   5951/tcp
vnc-800x600x16  5952/tcp

in inetd.conf I have:

#:VNC:

vnc-640x480x8   stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-broadcast -once -geometry 640x480 -depth 8
vnc-800x600x8   stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 8
vnc-800x600x16  stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-broadcast -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16

You also have to set up your login manager to use xdmcp, with gdm all
you have to do is set Enable=true in the [xdmcp] section
(/etc/gdm/gdm.conf)

it doesn't work thru a firewall but anyone internally can connect to the
host on :50,:51,:52 from vncviewer and get a new session. Pretty quick
and easy once you set it up.

Peace.

john

--